Adventures Involving a Train & the Rain


Coming home from Germany felt like a possible end to adventures and wonderful experiences, but lately I’ve been trying my hardest to avoid making that a reality. This past weekend I embarked on my first train trip in the states and it wasn’t nearly as sketchy as I had anticipated it to be. It pulled out of the Chico station at about 2 am on Friday and by 12:45 I was in rainy Eugene, Oregon. My best friend, Jessica, is a freshman at University of Oregon and it just so happened that my arrival coincided with the math midterm she had to take, so it became my task to find my way to campus in the rain – sans rain jacket. Rather than walking I splurged on a cab ride and waited in the student cafe for an hour or so as I finished Salinger’s Franny and Zooey; one of the most perfect books I’ve read in a long time.

I met up with Jessica after her test and we explored all of her favorite spots on the beautiful campus and had an amazing dinner at Agate Alley Bistro- from homemade pomegranate lemonade to delicious German style sandwiches. We wandered around Eugene while we chatted and caught each other up on all the latest and ended the day with Gilmore Girls and chocolate.

The next day was one of the best I’ve had in forever and involved lots of laughter, exploration, and walking. We ventured down to the Saturday Market, grabbed coffee, met a 3D artist, and perused the various booths of produce, food and art.

Meanwhile I was still without a rain coat as it continued to pour so after a delicious lunch of Vietnamese food we headed to a few thrift stores before finding, what we thought to be, an excellent Marmot raincoat. It turned out to be a non-waterproof windbreaker…but it might have helped me out a little bit. We filled the afternoon with a hike to the top of a hill in the middle of Eugene and explored parts of the city that neither of us had been to before. It took us a while to find the perfect restaurant for dinner and our stomachs were aching but we ended up at Poppi’s Anatolia – which served us the most excellent Indian food that I’ve ever had. We stayed late, chatting over delicious chocolate truffles and pots of chai tea after piles of naan and eggplant dip along with a shrimp entree. The staff was darling and the food was amazing and the day really couldn’t have ended in a better way. We continued to meander around campus, went late night grocery shopping, and crashed at around 2 am – perfectly normal in the college world of course.

The next day involved a rainy (again) trip to Target, redecorating of the dorm room, and a fitting afternoon of takeout Chinese and movie watching- I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

On Monday, we grabbed coffee and headed down to the river where were able to talk about our crazy lives and it was exactly what I’d been needing for the past month. I hopped on the train that evening feeling happier than I’d felt in a while and even my 5:30 am arrival in Chico and hour of sleep before the school day couldn’t ruin that.

It just goes to show that sometime, all you need in the midst of the routine existing, is a little bit of living.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s